2 tablespoons canola oil
5 lbs. bone-in short ribs, at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick
Salt and pepper
1 large head garlic, sliced horizontally
1 medium onion, chopped
4 large celery ribs, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
4 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups of dry red wine
3 cups chicken or beef stock
3 sprigs thyme
1 sprig rosemary
1 cup parsley chopped
Zest of one lemon
(1) 32oz family size package Main St Bistro® Signature Mashed Potatoes
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 275ºF. Heat oil in a large 7qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, brown the ribs on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer browned ribs to a
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pot. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic, cut side down; cook undisturbed for 2 minutes or until garlic is browned.
- Add the onion, ribs and carrots. Cook and stir until vegetables are softened, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, stir and cook until caramelized, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine and let simmer for 3 minutes, while scraping up any brown bits.
- Return the beef ribs and any collected juices to the pot. Stir in the stock, thyme and rosemary.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover and transfer it to the oven. Cook for 4 hours, or until the meat is fork tender.
- Remove ribs from the pot. Strain the sauce, or using an immersion blender, process the solids after removing the garlic.
- Heat family size Main St Bistro Signature Mashed Potatoes for 6 minutes in microwave per package directions. Serve short ribs and sauce over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and chives.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.